The vet visited at lunchtime and gave Haakon a thorough examination. The diagnosis was that Haakon has laminitis. Immediate treatment is to get him onto a soft bed for his poor hooves, off all hard feed – soaked hay only – and regular anti-inflammtory painkillers.
What a relief! Now I know the battle I can chose my weapons carefully and throw everything at it so I can help my poor boy (sorry, mixed metaphors but you get the drift).
We looked at the stable and decided we needed to board up the sides of the smaller stable so we can put thick bedding down. Daisy and I immediately drove to town and filled the van up with wood-shavings, 8 x 4 sheets of 9mm MDF (OH told me this is what we needed) and hay.
We drove home and I parked outside the stable. It was a family effort and, between us, we built a stable for Haakon.
Haakon was watching us with Taktur, for company.
With the sides in place to keep the bedding from falling out, the shavings could then be put down on top of rubber mats.
Haakon seemed very happy with his new bedroom.
Luckily he loves his soaked hay, so that is good. His appetite has not diminished.
Taktur was happy being tonight’s company and was given a pile of silage to munch through.
Haakon will have a variety of stable friends – mostly consisting of Taktur, Klaengur and Iacs on a rota – to keep him company.
The vet took more blood and is testing for Pituitary Pars Intermedia Dysfunction (Cushings) amongst other things.
And now we have a possible way forward. Nursing I can do. It is my thing.