This morning Daisy and I decided to go for a ride. She wanted to take Iacs and I would ride Klængur. So we brought them both in.
Klængur was definitely keen to go out – I love his happy and enthusiastic face.
But Iacs was very definitely not alright. I took this film for Jo to look at and for us to decide what to do next. Daisy and I were very worried.
He had a sachet of Danilon and we put Iacs into the stable.
For company we gave him his cousin, Haakon.
Daisy and I hot-soaked his left hind foot for 20 minutes but there was nothing to see. I used the hoof testers with not much reaction. We did notice, however, that Iacs seemed a bit more sound – perhaps the Danilon was working or the hot-soak had relieved the pain. Who knows.
Meanwhile, we sucked our teeth and had to go out for our last flute trio lesson before Daisy goes back to St Snotters on Saturday.
While we were out, Jo came past and did the same thing, as well as testing his pelvis, spine, etc and listening for breaks, creaking, anything really. She also poked about with the hoof-knife (she is a trained registered farrier) and the hoof testers but, like us, found nothing.
We re-grouped, discussed and decided to do two more hot-soaks this afternoon/tonight and another Danilon. Iacs stood in his bucket again.
Afterwards, as I had my headtorch on, I had a good press round his hoof with my gloved hands and something revolting oozed out of the top of his hoof/heel. It stunk.
Iacs is now not hopping lame. Phew! Another hot-soak tonight and then I will poultice with Animalintex and gaffer tape (no bandages). He can stay in with Haakon until the morning.
Bloody hell – he had us worried.