Last night, while putting Haakon to bed (new haynet, clean water, a quick muck out of dirty bedding and his kiss nunight), my waters churned so I ran my hand down his right front leg et voilà, a very nasty pungent smell! An abscess had burst open on the coronet band of his hoof. He was much happier, though.
This morning, feeling ready to do battle, I boiled up many kettles and stuck Haakon’s hoof in a bucket of as-hot-as-he-could-bear-it water and Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate).
Iacs was in attendance to generally get in the way and annoy.
After a good long soak, I sprayed an antibiotic (turquoise) spray onto the offending area feeling very happy that, at long last, we had found a reason for the lameness.
So I have a much happier horse today.
And a much happier me, to boot.
Now for the regular soaking and spraying and hopefully Haakon will come right. It is a little early but I am feeling much relieved. My old boy and I can go on forever.
As for my crafting life, I have been working hard on my film (to be continued….. ) and needle-felting in the long dark hours.
The blue (type) bird is sweet if stern.
The penguin started life as a robin but was the wrong shape and was quickly made into a penguin.
The robin looks very fierce – a bit military.
The sheep, however, are finding their own unique look.
The one on the right is my first sheep – made under expert tuition.
The other one, with the ringlets, is all my own. There was a moment in his creation when it was touch and go as to whether he would actually be a polar bear. He also has ears like Dobby, the house elf.