I went back today to help with the mare with hyperlipemia.
Last night she aborted her foal which, though it sounds awful and sad, is the best thing that could’ve happened. It means she has a chance. Not a huge chance, but a better chance.
I was greeted by Ken Lee, the croft cat.
This morning, the mare was in her pen looking more alert and aware of her surroundings.
We made the decision to let her out with a friend to see if she would begin to eat.
She was very wobbly on her legs, almost falling over, but we could see she was happy to be outside. I am a great believer in fresh air, company as well as sleep contributing towards healing.
The mare had a bit of a roll and then a sleep – I think she is exhausted.
The vet came and we discussed whether to re-site the intravenous drip or to continue with the bottles. He passed a naso-gastric tube and got a good bucket of water, electrolytes and dextrose down her, tested her blood glucose, took her temperature (slightly raised) and gave her some antibiotics.
The mare then had porridge made of fine oatmeal and apple juice plus brown sugar as well as water, every hour. She passed urine (grapefruit juice colour) twice as well as a stool. This encourages me. The important bits, like kidneys and gut, are still working.
This is what a blood sample from an equine with hyperlipemia looks like. The yellow bit is lipids (fat) in the blood. Not good. Ugh.
And so we struggle to keep this mare alive. She puts up with us pushing bottles down her every half an hour during the day. She has to live. I want her to live and she is not giving up yet and neither are we.
The only encouraging aspect so far was when I tried to catch her for the vet, she trotted off. That cheered me up greatly. Still, we have a very long way to go.