Taktur’s mane falls heavily on the left side of his neck, dragging his stallion crest and topline with it. Two of our Icelandic horse trainers have suggested that we plait up Taktur’s mane so that it then falls on his right side and hopefully this will correct the problem.
The previous 24 hours of rain had made Taktur’s mane wet, which was helpful.
We were given a picture to follow of what was required so, with Daisy standing on a bucket and me trying to keep Taktur’s head still, we gave it our best shot. There were over fifty plaits.
The second row of plaits created a diamond effect and you can see just how Taktur’s topline is uneven. Not good.
Daisy worked very hard. It took nearly three hours.
Obviously there was constant support.
Taktur looked a different horse with his crowning glory on the “wrong” side.
We really need to get his stallion crest and topline more even and hopefully by doing this, it will help.
Once we had finished, we gave Taktur his bucket of grub and it was interesting to see that when he put his head down, his neck topline stretched out and looked fine.
So Taktur is outside now. It has stopped raining and we are hoping this method will work or at least help even him out.