My day started at 5 a.m.  (I don’t think I slept the night before but apparently, according to Eddie the WatchBoard Computer, I did).

And I drove off to our local, and only, airport at 6 a.m. arriving 1 1/4 hours later.

Breakfast was a very creditable, no, delicious, bacon buttie and cappuccino to wake me up.

The plane first stopped off at Kirkwall, Orkney (this is a new thing according to Loganair).

And then went onto Aberdeen.

And so to Woodend Hospital, via an NHS minibus. This is the very place (hospital, not the minibus) I had all my spinal surgery (x 3), which is a huge trigger for me.  At the time of all the surgery, I hated every minute and walked up and down these corridors trying to prove to my surgeon I should go home immediately.  I have never been so unhappy in my life and I went to boarding school, which was also gross.

After my MRI, which took place in a portacabin in car park (classy, eh?), I took myself off to the local mahoosive Tesco to get some lunch and to see if they have more choice than we do.  They don’t.  Just shelves full of stuff nobody wants or really needs.

But they do have a über-cool escalator, which tells you when to walk and when not to.

Back to the hospital with my lunch and I sat, watched a film (Genie – highly recommend) and then waited a few hours for the NHS minibus back to the airport.

Aberdeen airport was looking particularly good…..

The plane was a tad late but it did take off (a plus) and we landed at Orkney to pea-size hail (a minus).

Home at long last and I drove back in my little Eggbox in occasional blizzards.  5 a.m. to 10 p.m. – well, that’s 17 hours of my life I won’t get back.

I slept for over eight hours last night muttering the motto “never anything ever again”.

8 thoughts on “Yesterday

  1. Julia

    Glad to hear MRIs in a car park is a universal thing between the US and the UK – I’ve absolutely had an MRI that took place in a trailer in the parking lot! The technician told me it’s because the machine is so loud

    That sounded like a tedious and harrowing journey – “never again” is also my motto anytime I get home after driving down the mountain (we live up in the forest) to our nearest big city. Never again!

    Hope you get good results (or at least the ones you’re hoping for ❤️)

  2. Annie vanderven

    From a fellow school boarder to another I symphatise(?) never to be forgotten, hence a trip to the hospital is traumatic but am glad you made it in one piece. Hopefully it will bring you some relief.

    All the best

    Annie v.

  3. Judith Garbutt

    Hope you get the results quickly and that you don’t need to make that trip again anytime soon, unless it’s for something pleasurable! I bet you got a warm welcome from all your animal family when you got home. xx

  4. Sam

    Glad you went and came home in one piece. Hopefully they can give you some answers that will work. Unlike the ortho dude I saw yesterday for a menscus tear – all he wanted to natter about was the arthritis in both knees. Not helpful.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *