So today it was Storm Conor’s turn to give it some welly.
The top gust was 97 mph in Unst (two islands up). Outside was vile and downright dangerous.
In the morning, during a lull, I managed to get outside, hanging onto the side of the house for support and uprightedness. I got as far as Lambie’s 2nd best bedroom, where I met three “starving” sheeps. They followed me into the stable where I gave them Lambie’s most favourite food ever – Mare & Youngstock – put out some hay and water, shut the door and left them to it.
Meanwhile, all the horses were outside. When I went to get the sheep’s hay, the noise in the indoor school was horrendous. The deafening sound of the wind constantly battering was terrifying and exhausting. We felt that the horses and ponies would definitely be safer outside making their own decisions.
I took this brief film at the height of the storm and, if you look carefully, you will see that barely a mane or tail is moving. They had strategically placed themselves in the lee of the hill.
Also, note, that the tiny spec of blue rug is Albie. Newt is using someone bigger to hide behind or under. They are sensible like that.
This afternoon, once the wind abated a bit, we called the big herd up and opened the stable door. I spread out a bale of hay, gave some more to the sheep in another shed, made up some haynets for those that remained outside and quickly checked everyone.
Everyone is fine. Shetland ponies and Icelandic horses are sensible. They found shelter and waited until the storm stopped.
Thank you for your prayers, vibes and kind thoughts during this ordeal. Hugely appreciated. Last night I was scared for my family.